BE AWARE THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS! FOR THE THOUGHTS, LOOK AT THE EPISODES PANEL ON THE RIGHT. FOR THE LATEST THOUGHT, GO TO HOME.

Episode 36


There is no justice. This is what this episode taught me.

For one after the whole Ka Mei "BLAME HOR MA" segment, not only was she not straight away cast away into the deepest end of the abyss, everyone seems to encourage Yuen to forgive her. Yuen, young, kinda handsome, kinda rich, kinda educated can do better than this piece of useless used package. Instead we hear "Yuen is ready to forgive you if you're willing to come back" and such nonsense. And then of course I realise it isn't really Ka Mei that should shoulder the entire blame. Yuen must shoulder half of it. Imagine this ball-less man running the company and fighting with Hung. This was a girl who so obviously pinned the pregnancy on him, married him for money, screamed at Hor Ma, made unfair accusations, doing everything against her own husband and yet... YET Yuen wants her back? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY? Is it because Ka Mei is good? Nope, she was rotten from the beginning. She can't be saved. No one should bother with saving her! No woman for Yuen is it? I mean would you want Yuen? Not me. Ball-less, no "Chun Toi" is how I see him. Disgusting. Be done with him. Maybe they do deserve one another.

Anyway Sum cries yet again. And yet again we have the whole report card scenes like yesterday. Suddenly Hou asks Sum "Do you miss your father?" because Sum said she felt like someone has been following her and she thought that man looked like her father. Sum said "No. He represents all the bad memories, I don't want to remember. I remember mommy and him were having a bad time, I thought by studying hard I could please him. I gave him my report card, but instead he tore it apart. He left me heart broken, he abandoned me, so no I don't want to see him, nor do I miss him". But Sum was lying. She does miss him a little as Sum is kind hearted, she bears no grudge.

Anyway Hou decided to look for Keung, found him at some dingy motel and again Keung said the usual "stop harassing my daughter" nonsense but Hou fought him off and said "Will you stop it already?! I am here aren't I? If I have been harassing her, I wouldn't be here to face you! Sum and I have been and always will be very good friends!" and so Keung stopped and Hou said "I know you have been following her. If you want to see her approach her!" but Keung said "You think I don't want to? It is my sin, my retribution I am dying! I am too ashamed to see her!" and Hou looked at the place "You staying her? I thought you got some share in the money..." and Keung said "Me? No. I gave it all to Hung in a Swiss account. Why would I want all those money? I did it to atone for my sins" and Hou said "You don't have much time. You once promised Sum you make her a lantern. Finish it and give it to her. Don't waste your time anymore". Keung fainted, and begged Hou not to take him to the hospital where Sum is working.

Next thing Sum did receive a lantern that she wanted when she was little, she was very happy but Hou told her "Your father made this for you. He is dying. He wants to see you"

Sum went to see Keung, and Keung was very moved by her being there. He said "I thought you would never want to see me again. Sum, please forgive me, please forgive me...Hou is a good man, he has kept his promise..." and Sum held his hands.

Alone with Hou, Sum said "I told him I forgive him. The truth was I looked at him and told him what he wanted to hear, as I would to a patient. I felt nothing, nothing at all" and she wasn't crying interestingly. But no worries because...

Hou got a call and he said uh-huh and all and then he told Sum "Your father just passed on" and Sum beginning to cry said "I knew he was dying, I already asked the professors and they said he is at his end stage, so I knew, I am prepared, I am ready..." but she cried at Hou's shoulders, crying for the father who she once loved and perhaps still love.

Pause here.

Rather sad and appropriate crying scene. Keung seems to be like a passing character. Appeared to cause havoc and then just die. Hung nowhere in sight and Keung doesn't seem to mind. It would have been better to have Keung not die yet and help Cho Ba but I suppose why should he? I have this impression he loved his mistress very much and I also have this impression Hung eventhough poor and uneducated was perhaps already very manipulative wife. I just have this impression Keung left her because she wasn't easy to live with and he found someone easier. Abandoning Sum is wrong though.

Anyway Sum realised what her father said was right; that Hou is a good man. She impliedly said to him "Hou, bake me a cake, exactly the one you made me that time, exactly the same" and Hou knew what Sum meant and requested 3 days for that. Meanwhile Sum was at the hospital and guess who she saw?

YES, DR LING IS BACK!!

The hospital needed OBGYNs and so he was asked to return. He did marry Wing Lam and Wing Lam is in England waiting for him. That night Sum was supposed to meet Hou and eat the cake but she had to go karaoke with Ling and colleagues. Hou waited, waited, waited and I thought DAMN YOU SUM!! But then she appeared smiling at Hou, apologising for being late. Hou said she was just 15 minutes late so no problem and then Sum said to Hou "I am very proud of myself today, I think I am ready to give you my report card. I met Chi Soon today and not only did I not think about it, when I was with him I was thinking about you, about the cake and what you would be doing. Don't I deserve 101 points?" and Hou smiled and agreed and Hou showed her a cake which was different from the one he made. It has their picture, their hair white frosted with the word "Growing old together". Hou explained "I did make the same cake but I thought the past is the past, so I decided to make a new one. You can't escape from me now, we are destined to grow old together!" and Sum and Hou shared a sweet passionate kiss.

AT LAST!!!

Sa tried calling Ka Mei and Ka Mei took her call and said "Mother, you were so keen on humiliating me that day, what more do you want?" and Sa lied that she met a doctor and that she was dying from some incurable disease, wanted to meet Ka Mei. She met with Ka Mei at home and Ka Mei full of fake concern asked "Mother have you seen a good doctor? Here I bring you to a good one now" but Sa refused and Ka Mei insisted and Sa refused and then Ka Mei blew her top and said "How long you intend to play this game with me?!" and Sa said "Ka Mei, I am making an effort! Come back home, say sorry to Hor Ma. You will never find a better husband like Yuen or an even more understanding mother in law like Hor Ma. Even after what you did, all they said was 3 words "(in English actually) OPEN THE DOOR". They're still willing to open the door for you to come home!" but Ka Mei refused to listen and said "Go back to that preachy woman's place? And see that useless family? No thanks!" and when she opened the door to leave she bumped into Hor Ma. Hor Ma gently said "Ka Mei please sit down I need to speak with you, just a little while" and pushed Ka Mei to the sofa and so Ka Mei just made faces but she was listening.

"Ka Mei, I know you call me a preachy long winded woman and you call your mother useless, having no respect for her. I agree with you. Your mother is, was the worst person I have ever known. She talked when she shouldn't, make up stories and point fingers but you must admit Ka Mei, your mother has changed tremendously. She changed for you. She has changed into a better person, realising her mistake. Can't you see that Ka Mei? You said you admire Hung, of all people, you admire that manipulative woman but at least Hung has a reason for doing what she is doing. She is trying to hold on to her family, protecting them in a way that she thinks is right. What about you Ka Mei? What's your reason for betraying us? What are you trying to hold on to? Yuen and I still thinks the same "OPEN THE DOOR" and the door is still opened for you to come home. That is all I have to say. Whether you listen or not is up to you. You are free to go now" and Ka Mei looked like she was listening and then she abruptly left. Sa cried "I don't know how to reach out to her anymore!" and Hor Ma held Sa to comfort Sa.

Pause here.

I agree with Hor Ma about Hung. However twisted Hung was at least she has a reason. Ka Mei, pure busybody. Hor Ma was actually quite stern with Ka Mei and only spoke nicely to her because of Yuen and mostly for Sa. A very good woman this Hor Ma.

Ka is working hard to promote the company. He probably won't live till 35 and he wanted to make up for lost time. Yuet was worried but Ka told her everything is fine. But Yuet told Hor Ma and Hor Ma beckoned Ka to go slow and everyone told him to go slow.

Pause here.

Yuet has one bad habit; you can't tell her a secret, she will blurt it all out!

Anyway Cho Ba didn't want to excite Ka. As Hung suddenly took leave from the company, leaving it to of all people shoe shining people like that cousin and Ka Mei, Ka actively took part in the company's management of new product launch. Then Hung came back and saw Cho Ba, Grandma, Yuen, Ka all at the mansion eating. Hung wanted to speak with Cho Ba and so went upstairs. Hung said "The truth is during my absence I went to see some very expensive lawyers in England and they told me you will get no more than 10% share so I have decided to give you just that as settlement" and Cho Ba was naturally angry and said "WHAT? How dare you? I worked hard for the company too! I invested a lot of time.." and Hung screamed "So did I! I worked hard too! I worked harder! If I had my way you wouldn't have a single penny to share with that fatty!!" and she violently pushed Cho Ba. She said "Your mother knows. Why not I ask you mother how much you contributed eh?" and Cho Ba panicked said "Hung must you be so wicked? Mother is sick, Ka is sick too, don't burden them with your questions!" and Hung shouted "Do I look like I care Ka is sick?" and she walked out and went downstairs and approached grandma and all and Cho Ba ran after her and said "Don't ask! Don't ask! Mother, go upstairs! Ka, go home now!!" but Ka knew something was wrong and asked "Auntie Hung, what is it you want to ask us?" and Cho Ba tried to stop her but she reiterated her offer and grandma went into hyperventilation and Ka was very angry. Hung even had Ka Mei the spineless said how well she was running the company. THAT YOU WANT YUEN TO RECONCILE WITH?

Pause here.

Here we have Cho Ba, high blood pressure, grandma, old and frail and Ka, heart disease. 3 very sick people. It was almost comical to see all 3 of them having some medical problems as they fought with Hung.

Ka said "Auntie Hung, you and everybody knows father did much for the business. He delivered the goods years before, he ran the company, he contributed. YOU KNOW and I KNOW! We can prove that in court and we shall see you there! I will not let you win!" but Ka was clutching his chest as grandma clutching her chest as well and Cho Ba was having fainting spells. Hung smiled and said "Fine. Don't say I didn't offer you anything!" and she left and Ka emotionally said "Cho Ba I will not let her win!" and Cho Ba said "Ka calm down, calm down!"

Sum came home and saw Yuet and Cho Ba and Ka and grandma all upset and asked what happened and I think it was Yuet or someone who said "Ask your mother!" and told her what Hung said.

Sum rushed to Hung and asked Hung "Mommy, is it true? You intend to give only 10% shares to Cho Ba?" and Hung said "Yes" and Sum said "Mommy, we owe it to them to give them more. I don't want that money, mommy why are you insisting?" and Hung said "Sum, before I went to England I wanted to give them 30%. When I returned I decided 20% but when I found out you and Hou were holding hands, I decided 10% is too generous an offer!" and Sum crying said "Mommy, please stop all this. Please let Cho Ba go.." but Hung said "Now I will not even give him a single penny!" and Sum looked on crying, helpless as to what she should do.

I do pity Sum. She has allegiance to both parties. Someone mentioned Sum just cries and cries and cries. I think this scene was an appropriate time to cry. And funny isn't it? It is the most vile woman's daughter that has backbone of steel whilst Sa, in the end became good has a daughter as vile as Hung. So to Hung's credit, she was a good mother in the sense she taught Sum well.

Interesting.


Next episode, I suppose court battle. Can't remember what was shown.

Performance wise, no comments. Character wise, Hung is beginning to have loads to do but still somehow not vile enough. She is just one scorned woman.

And the sudden return of Dr Ling is like one endless cycle of...never mind. Just a few more episodes and I shall be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though no complaints on performances. I thought the one who stood out was again Lee Sze Kei but the character I noticed most is Ka. I find Ka's outburst with Hung was well written and well acted by Moses. As to why he must have heart ailment just escapes me. Imagine if he didn't, he fights with Hung over the company. This would make this series into something more than it is now. A bit too late to have Ka in the company now.

And am I the only one with the impression that whilst Yuet is in love with Ka, Ka's affection for her is only sibling-like? How can Ka then have children with her? It is not even passionate real love. It's like "I am dying, need someone, here Yuet I accept you"?

Anyway best scene? I would say the funniest scene is 3 sick people vs 1 healthy Hung. No quotes, no description, just the idea of 3 medically sick people arguing with Hung. So you have grandma clutching her chest, Cho Ba his head and Ka of course speaking breathlessly. In retrospect that scene was really funny.

However if I must choose one serious best scene, I suppose the argument between Sum and Hung would be the one...

Mommy, we owe it to them to give them more. I don't want that money, mommy why are you insisting?

- Sum to Hung

0 comments:

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This is a watch-as-I-write episodic thought (a combination of episode summaries, reviews & critical analysis episode per episode) of TVB series, Moonlight Resonance, now showing on ASTRO Ch 311 from Mon-Fri at 9.30pm. Expect the thoughts to be episode per episode, critical analysis of the plot & performances of that particular episode, each to be posted the next afternoon & some may not contain full summaries as I may be watching other stuff during the same time. Hopefully I shall presevere and finish this one. Your comments, especially for the current episode are most welcomed. Use Post A Comment but please try not to post future episode spoilers.

Subject matter

TITLE
Moonlight Resonance

EPISODES
40

RELEASED IN
2008 by HKTVB

IT IS NOT
a sequel to Heart Of Greed even if they have essentially the same cast but with some shift of characters

FEEDBACK/COMMENT
Please comment episode per episode using Post A Comment in relevant episode page please. Please avoid revealing spoilers for future episodes unless it is a minor spoiler and explains questions about the plot

MORE INFO
- Cast list
- Wikipedia (SPOILERS!!)
- Point2e.com

REMINDER
The posts in here are my personal opinion & if you can't stand personal opinion that is critical or overly too positive, please do not proceed further than the first page of this blog.

Top Commenters

Get this widget